Author Topic: Cutting the Soap Dish  (Read 3262 times)

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
Cutting the Soap Dish
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
I'm working on my Crow V2 and I want to know what's the best way of cutting the soap dish hole where the PVC slides in.  How big should the hole be, what tools should I use to cut it and how far away should the hole be from the edge of the plastic?

My last Crow, I cut the hole too close and I realized that I couldn't install the eye mechanism because of a lack of room.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Re: Cutting the Soap Dish
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Measure the distance between the two little "horns" on one side of the dish and make a mark in the middle...  The total length between these two spots should be around 13cm, so the middle is 6.5cm.

Take a small length (like a 1/4 inch) your 1/2" CPVC pipe and center it at 6.5cm and trace the outside.

Now you can use a small drill bit to make a pilot hole, and then use an exacto knife to size the hole up to where you need it to be.

Of course you're going to want to work slow and leave the hole a tiny bit smaller than you think you're going to need... it's next to impossible to put material back on once you cut it off... but you're a prop guy, you know that ;)

Keep dry fitting it till you get the results you want. 

askbotboy

• Don't mention the war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
Your friend is the wooden dowel rod with 400 grit sand paper wrapped around it! Use it to smooth that hole, a little at a time till your CPVC slides in with just a little tension! Also, I use a spade bit to start the hole sometimes. Like Ron says- you CAN'T add material, so go slow.

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:38 AM »
Great!  Thanks a lot for the info, Ron and Gary! :D

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »
...slides in with just a little tension!

This marks the closest anyone has ever come to writing botbuilding slashfic.

askbotboy

• Don't mention the war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
Ron is right. "I forgot to mention, make sure all your walls are covered with sheet plastic and you wear gloves. Fingerprints are a no no!"

with love,
Dexter

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
Ron is right. "I forgot to mention, make sure all your walls are covered with sheet plastic and you wear gloves. Fingerprints are a no no!"

with love,
Dexter

Slashfic is fan produced fiction of the "adult" variety. ;)