Author Topic: Gypsy reproduction car seats?  (Read 16566 times)

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
Gypsy reproduction car seats?
« on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
Reproduction Infant Love Seats are supposedly on the horizon... if they were economical, would you buy one and build a Gypsy?

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gypsy reproduction car seats?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
I would love to buy a car seat but several questions arise...if it's made of resin, how heavy would it be?  Also, resin ain't cheap.  If a engine block for Servo is between $35 to $55, then I would hate to think about how expensive a baby car seat would be.

But yeah, if it's a reasonable cost for a good quality piece, sure.

cybergregg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
I just moved from south to central Florida last week. When I pulled my Love Seat down from the attic (no place to build bots in the old digs) I noticed some cracking on the edges that will need repair before turning it into Gypsy. While trying to decide how to proceed with the repair, I decided that making molds from fiberglass would probably be the way to go to make copies of the seat. A Gypsy made from fiberglass would be lighter and thinner than an original and not particularly expensive - material wise. For me, it would be a learning curve thing, I've never layed up glass before and would have to practice on something else first. I don't think vacuform is viable - too big of a pull, and RTV molds & resin casts too expensive.
Has anybody else tried fiberglass?

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
Hey gregg, what part of central Florida are you located at?  I'm in Tampa, lol.

I believe Fiberglass maybe a viable option.  Vacuumform may not work at all with some of the curves of the car seat, I'm assuming.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Everyone I've talked to says that fiberglass is the only way to go.  However a day will come soon when the seats stop changing hand amongst collectors, that's the real test.

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
Heh, perhaps we should start up a Century Infant Love Seat Registry. :p

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
The government already did that... and then destroyed all the car seats ;)

cybergregg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
I'm in Orlando, maybe we should bring some bots to Gasparilla - Captain Jack Servo, and Captain Barcrowsa (ouch)
As for the Gypsy registry, I have one, found it at a thrift store ten years ago, paid $5, still has the original sticker on the side.
Since then I don't think I've seen any kind of carseat at a thrift store

SynaMax

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
I'm in Orlando, maybe we should bring some bots to Gasparilla - Captain Jack Servo, and Captain Barcrowsa (ouch)
As for the Gypsy registry, I have one, found it at a thrift store ten years ago, paid $5, still has the original sticker on the side.
Since then I don't think I've seen any kind of carseat at a thrift store

Hahahahahaha.  Our bots would be destroyed at the end of the day if we brought them to Gasparilla. XD  I'm going to bring Crow and Servo to MetroCon in Tampa.  You should head over!  Bring the carseat too; I would love to see a Gypsy head in person, hahaha.

If only I got into Bot Building when MST3K was still in production.  It probably would've been soooo much easier to get one.

Do you think it would be possible to scratchbuild a seat?

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »
If only I got into Bot Building when MST3K was still in production.  It probably would've been soooo much easier to get one.

BBI had issues even finding simple things like Floralier towards the end...

[/quote]

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
Ron-
  Has this project gone anywhere?  I do casting myself and would love to help out if I can.  Failing that I just want to be involved so I can get the parts I need to build Gypsy for my wife.
Mark-
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
Randy at Lil' Monsters was working on this a while back... as well as a few others.

The main complaint I keep hearing is the weight that would be involved and the fact that it's a pretty narrow audience for the parts.

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »
I hear you.  I know enough about making molds from my Proton Pack building to know that it can be done, but like you said who is buying?  Is there a real market for the seats for bot builders or is Gypsy like the PKE Meter?  That is to say few people acctually build one but all are amazed when the see someone who has.  If anyone can point me in the right direction lmk.  I would be one of the few, the proud, the Gypsy makers.  8)
All hail Squidra!  Cut off one tentacle and two will grow back in its place and play the clarinet!

myersfarms

• View Profile
    • Myers' Farms
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
On another note, Ron, would it be possible to to cut one of the seats to the appropiate Gypsy configuration and the cast those pieces for building Gypsy purposes.

Ron

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bot Builder's Info
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
I'm thinking that cutting and casting would be the only way to do it... and then another original car seat joins the hereafter. ;)